[SciPy-dev] license for code published in articles

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Nov 24 14:22:27 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 14:17,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is code that is published verbatim inside a paper (not as attachment)
> license restricted?

Yes, of course, provided that the code is otherwise copyrightable.

> The Journal of Statistical Software publishes code under GPL.
> Does GPL also apply to source snippets or functions that are included
> in the text of the article, or is there a fair use assumption on the
> text of the article?

Including code in scipy does not fall under fair use, so that's
neither here nor there.

You can ask the authors for permission, if you like, but it's best
just to read the paper, and write new code.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco