[SciPy-dev] Single precision FFT

Sun Nov 30 22:22:19 CST 2008

Anand Patil wrote:
> Dang, I should have checked my email an hour ago... it doesn't need to
> be numpy, but I already did it. I just made a new module called 'sfft'
> that's a copy of fft, but with everything in single precision. Is that
> any use to anyone?

Hi Anand,

    Sorry for not having answered before. If you care about the float
support being available to many people, I think the best solution really
is adding it to scipy. Generally, I think there is a consensus that we
would like to avoid adding new features to numpy itself, specially if
the features fit quite well scipy.

To add support to float support to scipy.fftpack, you need to do the
following:
    - Enable build the fftpack library, single version
(scipy/fftpack/src/fftpack) in scipy/fftpack/setup.py
    - start writing fftpack wrappers in C (look at zfft_pack.c and
zfft.c for a simple example complex->complex fft, one dimension)
    - add support at python level.

The 2nd step is the one which will take time, although it should be
quite similar to the double prevision version.

cheers,

David