[SciPy-dev] [patch] read/write v5 .mat files with structs, cell arrays, objects, or function handles

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Oct 2 02:41:27 CDT 2008

2008/10/2 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>:
> Would it be possible for this to wait after 0.7 ? More exactly, I
> would like to keep the current behavior of 0.7, with a deprecation
> warning, and maybe the new code available through some mechanism to
> adapt (and would replace in 0.8). Even if scipy is not considered
> stable, I think we should allow at least one version for deprecation.

We should certainly look at applying the non-API-changing parts,
though.  I'm not sure what the best way is to represent these
structures on the Python side.

Thouis, you've thought about this a lot: could you tell us the pros
and cons of switching to the new representation?

I don't mind the tests changing, as long as the round-trip completes
successfully and all the data is still read.

Cheers
Stéfan