[SciPy-dev] SciPy-dev] [patch] read/write v5 .mat files with structs, cell arrays, objects, or function handles

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Thu Oct 2 10:34:05 CDT 2008

Hi,

> The reason Ray and I changed some of the representations is that we
> wanted the mapping from Matlab to Python to be symmetric: anything read
> from a MAT-file should be represented in a way that allows the writer
> code to write it back in its original form.  This requires that the
> original Matlab type be deducible from the Python representation.

Thank you very much for doing this work - it was certainly a major
deficiency in the scipy matlab io that it could not do this
roundtripping for structs and c.

For the API change, the API for the io has already changed in the
trunk, from an earlier change (well-motivated) by Nathan Bell.   I
would love to see a version of this patch in 0.7 if at all possible.

Best,

Matthew