[SciPy-dev] cython in scipy?

Wed Oct 8 23:38:34 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've just been trying to clean up scipy.stats.vonmises.cdf: it's
currently badly broken (tickets 747, 748, and 749). I can fix the
outright bugs, but it also has distressingly large roundoff error
under some circumstances. I'd like to simply implement the standard
algorithm (Hill 1977) for evaluating it. Unfortunately, it involves
evaluating a series with a number of terms that depends on the
parameter, so vectorizing a python version (which is already written)
is going to be a nuisance. On the other hand, it would be very easy to
translate this into cython and get C performance out of it. So: is it
okay to include cython code in scipy? What is the best way to go about
this? Include the cython source in setup.py somehow? Check the
generated C into svn and run cython by hand when I remember to?

Thanks,
Anne