[SciPy-dev] eig, eigh, and symeig in scipy

Dominique Orban dominique.orban@gmail....
Tue Oct 28 20:53:38 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 15:46, Dominique Orban
> <dominique.orban@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2. In my experience, Scipy is substantially more complex to install
>> than Numpy. As a user, if I can have access to all my dense linear
>> algebra in Numpy, it can save me time and trouble, especially if I
>> don't need the more advanced packages that Scipy offers.
>
> Needing a complete BLAS/LAPACK is one of the reasons scipy is more
> difficult to install. Moving it all to numpy doesn't solve this
> problem.

>> 3. As a wild guess, this might also avoid work duplication. I see that
>> other packages define new dense matrix types and BLAS and LAPACK
>> interfaces (such as cvxopt). Might it be because they don't want to
>> require from their users that they install Scipy?
>
> cvxopt doesn't even use *numpy*.

I understand that. cvxopt redefines everything and then ensures
compatibility with numpy arrays. I'm not entirely sure how complete
their interface to BLAS/LAPACK is, but it is a breeze to install.

Dominique