[SciPy-dev] [MAJOR BUG] latest numpy leads to scikits fail [was: installing openopt]

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko@scipy....
Mon Sep 22 06:01:18 CDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 14:02, dmitrey <dmitrey.kroshko@scipy.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> after updating numpy I have troubles with openopt
>> ImportError: No module named openopt
>>
>> and seems like it is related to timeseries as well: I have similar bug:
>>
>> ~/scikits/timeseries/scikits/timeseries/tests# python test_dates.py
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "test_dates.py", line 21, in <module>
>>    import scikits.timeseries as ts
>> ImportError: No module named timeseries
>>

> In fact, I have fixed a bug related to the combination of setuptools
> and numpy.distutils when using "python setup.py install". Please
> remove all scikits and reinstall them.
> If you are still having
> problems, please tell me exactly what commands you are using to
> install.

Yes I have, openopt works incorrectly, you could check it by yourself

 >>> from scikits.openopt import NLP
 >>> NLP(lambda x:x**2,4).solve('ralg')

OO Error:incorrect solver is called, maybe the solver "ralg" is not
installed. Maybe setting p.debug=1 could specify the matter more precisely
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/scikits/openopt/Kernel/BaseProblem.py",
line 186, in solve
  File
"build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/scikits/openopt/Kernel/runProbSolver.py",
line 48, in runProbSolver
  File
"build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/scikits/openopt/Kernel/oologfcn.py", line
16, in ooerr
scikits.openopt.Kernel.oologfcn.OpenOptException: incorrect solver is
called, maybe the solver "ralg" is not installed. Maybe setting
p.debug=1 could specify the matter more precisely

I guess now "python setup.py install" forms Python egg (previously there
was a simple copying of Python files to installation directory), and
openopt can't find path to a solver. Dictionary with the paths to
*_oo.py files  is formed via os.walk() during start of openopt session,
and os.walk can't handle situation with eggs.

D.