[SciPy-dev] [MAJOR BUG] latest numpy leads to scikits fail [was: installing openopt]

Mon Sep 22 07:41:55 CDT 2008

dmitrey wrote:

> 1. This is valid for Linux only, while OO users expect to have other
> OSes as well.

No, it works on every OS I have ever used numpy on (and this includes
all the majors ones since my work on numscons); of course, the /dev/null
is OS dependant, but you can use any file for this (why setuptools
requires the --record in this situtation is beyond me BTW). I never use
eggs on any OS, so I can be 100 % affirmative it does work on every
platform it matters

> 2. Users usually just type "python setup.py install" and don't read any
> install instructions. It would be nice to put the options into setup.py
> file (or mb setup.cgf).

Yes, you will have to fix this, this was just meant as a quick fixaround
until you fix your package. You can't put those options somewhere, the
user still have to get the choice for eggs if wanted.

> Do you have any idea how to do the trick?

I think you should avoid dealing with the filesystem after installation
if at all possible. This is really fragile, and difficult to get right
on every platform/condition. If you can't, you should use the ressources
API, which is part of python itself; I don't think there is any other way:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs#accessing-package-resources

But I don't know enough about openopt to be 100 % affirmative.

cheers,

David