[SciPy-dev] weave.inline broken by setuptools?

Fri Sep 26 00:02:45 CDT 2008

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *bzzrt!* No. That's not the problem. It's dangerous to pull in
>> setuptools after *numpy.distutils*. It's the particular combination of
>> those two that needs to be managed carefully.
>
> Ok, thanks a lot for the clarifications.  At least I understand the
> problem a bit better now.  But I'm going to light up a candle to the
> coding gods so that someone finds a cleaner long-term solution.  This
> really should *not* be that hard

Any half-decent python programmer could build something with a design
which is much better than distutils (as a proof, there is at least 4-5
projects which do precisely that in python, like scons, vellum, paver,
waf to name the ones still in existence and maintained today). The
problem is how to deal with the corner cases, and with existing
packages, as mentioned by Guido about the distribute fork.

I note that the open source community at large is stucked with an
arguably worse tool, the autotools suite, for something like 20 years
now. Distribution tools are very difficult to engineer right and being
useful in a lot of projects at the same time. The devil really is in the
details; this is even more true for build tools than for most softwares
I think,

cheers,

David