[SciPy-dev] Proposal: scipy.spatial

Tue Sep 30 19:45:53 CDT 2008

2008/9/30 Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Anne Archibald
> <peridot.faceted@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for taking the initiative on scipy.spatial Anne.  I have no
> doubt that it will become an important and widely used part of scipy.
>
> Have you considered starting a "spatial" branch off the scipy trunk?

For now I have simply added it to the trunk, since I have code which
is documented and tested. (Also I have no experience with SVN and
merging, but reports suggest it's a horrible experience.)

> I will defer to your judgment here.  My experience, and the paper I
> referenced, is oriented towards low dimensional cases that arise in
> graphics applications.

It's quite possible that the best algorithms for low-dimensional cases
differ. It's probably worth implementing a very simple and
space-efficient kd-tree, possibly in a compiled language, to
complement what's there now.

Anne