[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Daniel Wheeler daniel.wheeler2@gmail....
Mon Apr 6 10:58:45 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu@aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> I do not think this would fit in with the purposes of scipy the library,
>  for the next obvious question would be what about grid generators?
> What about finite difference and finite volume solvers and so on.  I
> think these are a little too specialized to go into scipy proper.  There
> are a plethora of approaches, techniques, algorithms and a host of
> problems with each.

Totally agree. Scipy should be low level, FE tools etc should be using
scipy/numpy not integrated into scipy.

One weakness right now is that there doesn't seem to be a good open
source python based meshing tool. Again, this is not something that
should necessarily be in scipy, but something that should probably
leverage from scipy. We (FiPY) currently use gmsh, but it is not
tightly integrated and and we've written our own standard mesh
classes, but haven't done anything more with this.

--
Daniel Wheeler