[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Thu Apr 9 07:34:05 CDT 2009

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> On 04/09/09 04:34, Robert Kern wrote:
>> I don't think he's talking about a Python package, but rather a
>> project that bundles Python packages together, like the SAGE
>> distribution (which is much more than the sage Python package),
>> Python(X,Y) and EPD. scipy is a Python package and can't really morph
>> into a superpackage. It simply belongs to a different category of
>> things. In fact, I suggest not using the term "superpackage" but
>> "distribution".
>
> Indeed, that is precisely what I meant --- a distribution tailored for
> PDEs would be nice.  If we had a fool proof distribution generation
> system that works on all platforms this would be trivial but easier said
> than done.

Someone said that Sage has a different focus -- but that is just because
most of the current active userbase are matematicians. From what I've
heard they certainly want to be "a viable open source alternative to ...
MATLAB ..." (as well as Maxima and Mathematica) and would welcome work on
that area.

I'm just saying that I hope we do NOT get a "tailored distribution for
PDEs". A very large part of what Sage or EPD brings to the table (notebook
interface, plotting GUIs, build and package system, builds on many
platforms, interactive Cython development etc.) are field neutral and I
think it would be better if the same system could in time be used by
"everybody". At least, this is a role Sage very much wants to take on.

(But SciPy is definitely a component of such a system, not the system
itself.)

The "workflow" of the average sciuentific programmer has a big potential
for improvement, and one cannot bring that about by further fragmentation.

Dag Sverre