[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Thu Apr 9 15:25:04 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu@aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
> On 04/09/09 18:04, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>> The "workflow" of the average sciuentific programmer has a big potential
>> for improvement, and one cannot bring that about by further fragmentation.
>
> I was not advocating fragmentation, any viable solution would be fine.
> IIRC, SPD itself is based on Sage and surely there will be some exchange
> of code/ideas between Sage and SPD at some time.  However, given a
> choice I would prefer a modular set of packages rather than one
> monolithic monster. I haven't delved into all the existing solutions
> enough to know if they are sufficiently modular or not.  The very fact
> that SPD exists suggests that there is scope for improvement.

The problem with Sage is that it doesn't include any PDE solver,
mayavi, not many sparse solvers (I think only superlu in scipy) etc. I
want all in one package, so the only way is to do it yourself, but SPD
is compatible with Sage, so any spkg package that works in Sage works
in SPD and vice versa.

I imagine, that after some time, Sage could include the good spkg
packages. So I don't see any problem or fragmentation here.

Ondrej