[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Tue Apr 14 15:42:31 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 17:43, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>> so I guess scipy should be like a bare matlab and all toolboxes should
>> go to scikits?
>
> Not necessarily *bare* Matlab, but that's roughly my take. Personally,
> I don't feel a need to put everything numerical possible into scipy
> itself. That way lies madness, IMO. A single Python package just isn't
> the right technology to contain that much code.
>
> I see scipy as primarily providing the fundamentals. In addition, it
> also serves as a home for numerical code that would otherwise have no
> home. I see no benefit in pulling in existing projects that are
> thriving on their own. As for PDEs, specifically, I think the domain
> is rich enough that it can usefully live in its own package better
> than being put into scipy. While there may be some fundamentals that
> you can pull out that might make sense to live in scipy (some simple
> good-enough mesh generation as you suggest), you will inevitably need
> more options, more sophisticated mesh generation, more dependencies,
> etc., that fits the development life cycle of a PDE-dedicated package
> more than scipy.

So to conclude this thread, it seems to me that what Robert wrote
above is the mission statement for scipy:

------------
SciPy mission statement:

SciPy is providing the fundamentals for all scientific codes in
Python, in addition, it
also serves as a home for numerical code that would otherwise have no
home. Existing projects, that are thriving on their own (e.g. PDE
solvers) should stay as separate projects.
---------------------

> In other words, the important question isn't, "Can scipy do this?" but
> rather, "Can Python do this?".

So it's clear that besides scipy itself, there should be a all in one
solution, like EPD (commercial), Sage (GPL), or SPD (GPL, but in
principle if all the Sage scripts are rewritten, could be BSD) that I
am working on.

There needs to be something, that people can take and customize to
create their own all in one solutions, e.g. for PDE, or for biology,
for mathematics (that is Sage) or I don't know what.
Too bad I need to sleep some time, otherwise I'd be working on this
nonstop to make this happen.

Ondrej