[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Tue Apr 14 15:56:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 01:42:31PM -0700, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> There needs to be something, that people can take and customize to
> create their own all in one solutions, e.g. for PDE, or for biology,
> for mathematics (that is Sage) or I don't know what.
> Too bad I need to sleep some time, otherwise I'd be working on this
> nonstop to make this happen.

I am with you here (but not working on it :( ).

I didn't add anything to the discussion on PDE's, but all the time during
this discussion I had in mind the interface nightmare problem: I don't
care which PDE solver I use, if it has an interface I know. So we need a
package to implement a base interface, that I can depend on. The solver
behind this interface might not be performant, it is just there as a
back. Scipy does seem a natural slot for such code.

Gaël