[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Apr 14 18:40:01 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:37, Andrew Straw <strawman@astraw.com> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>>> I call that Debian/Ubuntu. Package management is one thing that Debian
>>> got really right. I don't really see the value in re-inventing Debian
>>> package management. Why not just use it?
>>
>> If you can really restrict your deployments just to a single
>> distribution of a single OS, great. Many of us are not in that
>> position.
>
> Well, fink ports the Debian package management to Mac OS X.

Not really, no.

> Does
> something equivalent exist for Windows?

No.

> The actual Debian file formats
> are pretty simple, so it seems like it should be do-able.

You would think, wouldn't you?

> The no root issue is another setback for my suggestion. I guess porting
> the Debian package management isn't going to help there...
>
> Maybe what is needed is an entirely unprivileged-user Debian-inspired
> distribution and package management system that doesn't bother
> installing the low-level system stuff (e.g. the kernel, X11/Windows
> GUI/Mac OS X GUI) but will keep a copy of everything from libpng, to
> cairo, to ATLAS, to numpy/scipy/etc in the user's area. This sounds like
> a generally useful thing, and not one that is specific to Python.
> Perhaps such a project could actually take off.

There have been many abortive attempts. None have actually caught on.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco