[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Tue Apr 14 19:50:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:56, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 01:42:31PM -0700, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>> There needs to be something, that people can take and customize to
>>> create their own all in one solutions, e.g. for PDE, or for biology,
>>> for mathematics (that is Sage) or I don't know what.
>>> Too bad I need to sleep some time, otherwise I'd be working on this
>>> nonstop to make this happen.
>>
>> I am with you here (but not working on it :( ).
>>
>> I didn't add anything to the discussion on PDE's, but all the time during
>> this discussion I had in mind the interface nightmare problem: I don't
>> care which PDE solver I use, if it has an interface I know. So we need a
>> package to implement a base interface, that I can depend on. The solver
>> behind this interface might not be performant, it is just there as a
>> back. Scipy does seem a natural slot for such code.
>
> I conjecture, though, that the interface is the critical
> differentiator (ahem, no pun intended) between implementations.

So if you all seem to agree to that scipy mission, do you think it
could be put on the scipy front page? :) Is there anything I can do to
make this happen?

As to the distribution thing --- as long as it's your own box, or you
have the root rights, Debian/Ubuntu is the best (for me). But if you
are on Mac, or a cluster (often my case), other computer, lab, or
windows, you are stuck. There were attempts to create a source
distribution and all of them utterly failed, e.g. see this thread I
started on sage-devel not so long ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/a8d89440bdff814b/

The only way forward is to use something that has already pulled off,
that has a large support across all the architectures (*now*, not in
couple years, that's very important), that has a large user community,
etc. E.g. Sage. Then take it and customize it. Imho that is the only
chance, instead of starting something new.

Hopefully soon Debian Developer,
Ondrej