[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Wed Apr 15 00:06:30 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:00:14AM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> I am not sure it is that clear. If you take one of the most successful
> open source software for numerical computation, R, they have a totally
> opposite solution: CRAN. They don't integrate anything themselves, but
> you have ~2000 packages for extremely specialized tools. It is easier
> for R than for us, because they can do whatever they want to make it
> happen, whereas we have to play well with other tools, since we are
> python.

I am curious: how reliable is RCRAN, with regards to complex compiled
packages. For instance, do they ever run in the gfortran/g77 problems?

Maybe once numpy provides a suitable build environment (by exposing its C
API to packages) and with some improvement of distutils/setuptools, we
can go part way there.

Gaël