[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Wed Apr 15 04:04:36 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<dagss@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>> David Cournapeau wrote:

>>> What makes debian such a well integrated system is not so much the
>>> scripts - after all, rpm .spec files, debian files, port (BSd system)
>>> files are not that different. What matters is how polish the actual
>>> packages are. That's already difficult to do for one platform. That
>>
>> +1
>>
>> The reason Sage installs works is because Michael Abshoff works as
>> release manager. Making sure, e.g., that one software package isn't
>> upgraded until the rest of the packages can handle the upgrade.
>>
>> Ondrej, will SPD be keyed to Sage releases? Otherwise SPD will be
>> something that works at one point in time, but then requires fulltime
>> supervision to keep it working, and really not much better than
>> setuptools foir the reasons David mentions.
>
> The major point I'm trying to make here is that if you have Sage version
>  x.y.z, that autoatically implies Python version a.b, NumPy version c.d
> and SciPy version e.f; all tested by someone else to fit together.
>
> Unless the same will be the case for SPD, it just won't work as it must.
> And if it is not keyed 1:1 to Sage releases, there's going to be much
> work duplication.
>
> The package system is not the problem; distribution maintainance is.

Yep, that's why I chose Sage, because in my experience Sage is by far
the most tested and robust opensource source distribution.

Besides that, both William and Michael are interested in helping me
out, for example William and Mike Hansen just spent an evening
disentangling the Sage notebook, so that we can use it in SPD and they
can use it in the windows port:

while in the scipy community, unfortunately, I can still see many
doubts if this effort is really needed/worthy, etc. So I first need to
deliver some results, then hopefully more people will join. I can't do
this myself alone, so I chose Sage.

Ondrej