[SciPy-dev] Sparse SVD in SciPy -- SVDPACK[C] made available

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Fri Apr 24 03:34:07 CDT 2009

On 24-Apr-09, at 1:00 AM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Michael Berry has kindly agreed to relicense SVDPACK or SVDPACKC for
> use in SciPy.

Hmm, I thought that sparse SVD was provided by ARPACK, already
included in SciPy, and it was just a matter of writing the wrappers.
Is that still the case, or is SVDPACK for some reason a substantially
easier route/is SVDPACK better or more featureful?

That said: I think you're right about preferring SVDPACKC, Stefan.
WIth all of the annoying issues surrounding Fortran compilers and
ABIs, it seems to me that the less new Fortran code gets added to
SciPy, the better.

David