[SciPy-dev] Gsoc summer student

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Fri Apr 24 09:41:39 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM, ross smith <rjsm@umich.edu> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I've been accepted by Google summer of code this year.   I'm a junior at
> University of Michigan  Ann arbor studying physics.  I've been 'programming'
> since high school.  I began with some short programs in quickbasic.  after
> coming to college I've picked up python and been working with it for a
> couple years.
> I've helped maintain a python codebase for a research lab here and was one
> of two students that worked on porting it to Py3k.   My other programming
> projects have mostly involved additions to the codebase for labs I've worked
> for and an odd bugfix or patch for programs I use frequently.
>
> I'm going to be spending the first part of the summer, getting familiar with
> the codebase for SciPy.Signal and doing some cleanup and bug hunting.   The
> second part will be focused on improving SciPy.signal and filling some of
> the gaps in functionality between SciPy.signal and matlab's signal
> processing toolbox.
>
> I usually idle on freenode as gaurdro and aim as gaurdro1 if anyone wants to
> talk.
>

> best,
>
> Ross

Hello Ross and All,

I was also accepted into GSoC for this year to work on SciPy, and I
thought I'd continue this as an introductions thread.  My name is
Skipper Seabold, and I'm a PhD student in economics at American
University in DC.

I will be working on providing a consistent user interface and
development framework for statistical models in SciPy.  At the request
of GSoC I will be maintaining a blog about the project, you can learn
more and follow the progress of my work at
<http://scipystats.blogspot.com>.

I also idle on freenode as jseabold.

Looking forward to the summer and beyond!

Best,

Skipper