[SciPy-dev] SciPy Foundation

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Aug 1 19:39:48 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Gael
Varoquaux<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> Back to the scipy foundation idea
> ==================================
>
> The idea of the scipy foundation is an idea that has been floating around
> for a while. If it is manned by a variety of people who express the wills
> and needs of users and developers of the scipy ecosystem, it could be a
> great thing. But I see two road blocks: first, as Robert points out,
> telling somebody what to do will not achieve anything.

To have a foundation, by itself, has no consequence on telling people
what to do. It is just a way to have a single point of entry for
people who want to interact with the community, and to have the legal
right to collect money.

> I am already way
> too busy scratching my own itches. Second, who will find the time to take
> care of this?

There is an inherent amount of bureaucracy involved with those things,
but it does not have to always be done by the same people, and
rotation works better than for code I think.

David