[SciPy-dev] SciPy Foundation

Tommy Grav tgrav@mac....
Sun Aug 2 07:32:56 CDT 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 5:56 PM, David Goldsmith wrote:

> --- On Sat, 8/1/09, Tommy Grav <tgrav@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Making scipy into a tool for science and engineering is in my opinion
>> a to broad a goal. Making into a set of tools that are useable in
>> many
>> fields and thus supporting development of field specific packages
>> is in again my
>> opinion the way to go.
>
> Please clarify what you see as the difference between these two - to
> me, on the surface
> of it, your goal statement is no more "focused" nor "self-contained"
> than Joe's.  Perhaps
> if you clarify what you see as the differences, we all may discover
> that your vision and
> Joe's actually aren't that far apart.

I don't think that Joe and I are that far apart either. My point (very
badly formulated) was
that trying to make scipy be a replacement for IDL or matlab is in my
opinion not the right
goal. IDL in particular has a lot of field specific code available in
it. I would like to see a
structure where scipy provides the underlaying code needed by many
fields (like the
Numerical Recipes codes) but stay away from providing field specific
code. Also scipy
should not venture into GUI or provide an interactive environment like
IDL (there are
other packages that provide this).

Just my opinion
    Tommy Grav