[SciPy-dev] stats.distributions.poisson loc parameter : is it wise ?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Thu Aug 6 16:43:12 CDT 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Every probability distribution can be generalized to accept a location
> and scale parameter even if their standard treatments do not.
>
>  pdf(x; loc,scale) -> pdf((x-loc)/scale)/scale

Agreed, as long as we are talking about *continuous* distributions.
The behavior is quite different for *discrete* distributions. Even if
the scale is simply discarded already, using a location will probably
NOT give the expected result