[SciPy-dev] change print statements to print functions in docstrings

Sat Aug 15 17:33:46 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 03:29:48PM -0700, David Goldsmith wrote:
> --- On Sat, 8/15/09, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM,
> > Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > I'm not convinced it is a good idea, even
> > pedagogically. First, all the python books I have are for
> > the python-2.x versions, and second it saddles the students
> > with having to make a distinction between printing single
> > items vs printing multiple items. It's better, I think,
> > to wait until we have a python 3.x version of numpy.

> > Okay fair enough. Change or no change, I have no strong
> > opinion, as long as it is done consistently for all
> > docstrings.

> At this point in this thread, I've reached the "strong opinion" that
> I'm +1 w/ Charles: speaking as someone who's gung-ho to make the
> docstrings as pedagogically useful as possible, I feel code-docstring
> consistency trumps this - IMO, the docstrings should not be be changed
> prior to the code itself being changed.

But how does this fit with the fact that people using IPython are seeing
this change (I believe that's the third time I ask the question)?

That what worries me most, docstrings or no docstrings. I came on the
problem while testing my tutorial on IPython, as a naive user.

Gaël