[SciPy-dev] change print statements to print functions in docstrings

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Aug 15 18:02:24 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 11:48, Gael
Varoquaux<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:44:01AM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
>>    I'm not convinced it is a good idea, even pedagogically. First, all the
>>    python books I have are for the python-2.x versions, and second it saddles
>>    the students with having to make a distinction between printing single
>>    items vs printing multiple items. It's better, I think, to wait until we
>>    have a python 3.x version of numpy.
>
> But, the real issue here is that students confronted with IPython will
> have to deal with this. At least on some systems, amongst others Ubuntu
> Jaunty (python 2.6, IPython 0.9.1):
>
> In [1]: print 1, 2, 3
> ------> print(1, 2, 3)
> (1, 2, 3)

This is a bug in IPython's autocall feature. It should not be
translating print statements.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."