[SciPy-dev] change print statements to print functions in docstrings

Sat Aug 15 18:02:57 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 03:29:48PM -0700, David Goldsmith wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 8/15/09, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM,
> > > Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > I'm not convinced it is a good idea, even
> > > pedagogically. First, all the python books I have are for
> > > the python-2.x versions, and second it saddles the students
> > > with having to make a distinction between printing single
> > > items vs printing multiple items. It's better, I think,
> > > to wait until we have a python 3.x version of numpy.
>
> > > Okay fair enough. Change or no change, I have no strong
> > > opinion, as long as it is done consistently for all
> > > docstrings.
>
> > At this point in this thread, I've reached the "strong opinion" that
> > I'm +1 w/ Charles: speaking as someone who's gung-ho to make the
> > docstrings as pedagogically useful as possible, I feel code-docstring
> > consistency trumps this - IMO, the docstrings should not be be changed
> > prior to the code itself being changed.
>
> But how does this fit with the fact that people using IPython are seeing
> this change (I believe that's the third time I ask the question)?
>
> That what worries me most, docstrings or no docstrings. I came on the
> problem while testing my tutorial on IPython, as a naive user.

Changing the examples does not solve the inconsistency for all platforms and
users. As Charles said, most books and tutorials use the older syntax.
You'll eventually have to explain to new users the Python 2.x / 3.x
situation and its incompatibilities. Face to face in a tutorial is maybe
better for that than having your students confused later at home.

Cheers,
Ralf