[SciPy-dev] change print statements to print functions in docstrings

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Aug 15 19:09:37 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 18:05, David Goldsmith<d_l_goldsmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Sat, 8/15/09, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
>
>> But how does this fit with the fact that people using
>> IPython are seeing
>> this change (I believe that's the third time I ask the
>
> I don't know: how universally used is IPython?  I'm only installing it now on account of the tutorials; otherwise, so far, I've seen no need to and probably wouldn't, but am in the minority?  I honestly don't know (and suspect that no one has the global usage statistics to say for sure).  In other words, are we going to let the "problems" arising in one specialty package govern the behavior for the baseline library?

It's not universal (nothing is), but it is immensely popular among our
install-base. You see no need for it *now*, but just wait until you've
taken it out for a spin for a while.

Its features are important to consider sometimes. For example, some of
the decisions about the formatting of the documentation (particularly
readable plaintext math) were driven by the large use of IPython's "?"
feature for reading docstrings (the builtin help() is similar in
functionality but more cumbersome; I doubt I would have been as
insistent about readable plaintext if the alternatives were just
reading the HTML and help()).

However, I don't think incidental bugs in IPython should drive design choices.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco