[SciPy-dev] Idle (?) speculation about ndarray [was draft: NumPy User Guide introduction]

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri Aug 21 14:01:27 CDT 2009

2009/8/21 Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org>:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:07:12AM -0400, josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
>> Methods are useful for being overwritten by subclasses. And the last
>> time I checked method calls were a bit faster than functions.
>
> Fernando and I had a look recently, and as far as we could tell, all the
> functions tried to call the methods, if any, sometimes after doing a bit
> more magic.

Just to be clear, I was simply expressing an opinion: there won't be
any changes to the ndarray object any time soon (not until 2.0 at
least).

The speed of functions vs. methods is an implementation detail that
can easily be changed.

Regards
Stéfan