[SciPy-dev] Idle (?) speculation about ndarray [was draft: NumPy User Guide introduction]

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Sat Aug 22 06:05:33 CDT 2009

On 21-Aug-09, at 8:30 AM, David Goldsmith wrote:

> I wasn't thinking to replace ndarray w/ Stefan's idea; rather, I was
> thinking of the possibility of deriving ndarray from Stefan's idea,
> implemented as _ndarray (i.e., it'd be "private" so as to not
> disrupt the API and, hopefully, not confuse people too much).  But
> if there would be performance _loss_ in doing so...never mind. :-)

What Stefan describes is actually how Cython treats PEP3118 buffers. I
don't think np.foo functions will work on such buffers at present but
they might (and ideally they should, eventually).

David