[SciPy-dev] Idle (?) speculation about ndarray [was draft: NumPy User Guide introduction]

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith@yahoo....
Sat Aug 22 09:19:49 CDT 2009

--- On Sat, 8/22/09, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> > I wasn't thinking to replace ndarray w/ Stefan's idea;
> rather, I was
> > thinking of the possibility of deriving ndarray from
> Stefan's idea,
> > implemented as _ndarray (i.e., it'd be "private" so as
> to not
> > disrupt the API and, hopefully, not confuse people too
> much).  But
> > if there would be performance _loss_ in doing
> so...never mind. :-)
>
> What Stefan describes is actually how Cython treats PEP3118
> buffers. I
> don't think np.foo functions will work on such buffers at

(Don't know enough about Cython) not even if you "cast" the buffer on the fly: np.foo(np.array(PEP3118 buffer)) (assuming np.array(PEP3118 buffer) is supported)?  Regardless, good to know.

DG