[SciPy-dev] Tri-diagonal LAPACK Routines - Shall I interface them?

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail....
Sun Dec 6 20:13:59 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Benny Malengier
<benny.malengier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting, this is exactly the function I needed for my problem, but
> I was looking in scipy.sparse.linalg, so did not notice banded matrix
> solver was present in scipy.linalg.
>
> In my logic, the "matrix diagonal orded form" of
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.linalg.solve_banded.html#scipy.linalg.solve_banded
> would be a type of sparse matrix one can manipulate. This would allow
> things like changing matrix diagonal orded form sparse matrix to a csr
> matrix, adding some extra elements off the diagonals, and then calling
> a more generic solver.

Can't you do that already with scipy.sparse.dia_matrix?  If I'm not
mistaken, dia_matrix is (slightly) more general than the banded format
but similarly efficient.

In an ideal world scipy.sparse.spsolve() would detect the case that A
was a dia_matrix (with small bandwidth) and invoke the LAPACK method
in scipy.linalg instead of using the general sparse LU solver.

--
Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com
http://www.wnbell.com/