[SciPy-dev] What instructions should I give scikits.bvp_solver users to get gfortran?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Dec 7 08:07:38 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav+sp@iki.fi> wrote:
> Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:52:49 -0800, John Salvatier wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have recently mostly completed by boundary problem solver scikit (
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/scikits.bvp_solver) and someone mentioned to
>> me that it would be useful to provide instructions for getting gfortran
>> in my documentation (http://packages.python.org/scikits.bvp_solver/).
>> What instructions should I give my readers? For mac users, I suspect the
>> best instructions are to tell them to use the Scipy Superpack, but I
>> don't know what I should tell Windows users.
>
> Windows users are well off with Python(x,y), it comes with GFortran.
> I believe also the newer (newest?) Mingw's come with GFortran, but I'm
> not sure right now.

The new release of MingW, that came out last summer, comes with
gfortran.

Do you know what the compatibility is between g77 and gfortran?
Can extension for numpy be build with gfortran when numpy and
lapack have been built with g77? Will we run into similar
problems on Windows as the switch between g95 and gfortran
on linux?

(I haven't upgraded yet to the new MingW, because I didn't find
any compatibility information on the internet and I didn't want to
spend a lot of time to find out by trial and error.)

Josef