[SciPy-dev] doc question: special.orthogonal.p_roots and co

Tue Dec 8 08:11:04 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:43 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I was looking for the Legendre points and weights for Gaussian
> quadrature.
> >> In the source of integrate.quadrature, I found the use of
> >> special.orthogonal.p_roots
> >> It is not in my (oldish) htmlhelp
> >>
> >> p_roots and co are not links in
> >>
> >> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.special.orthogonal/
> >>
> >> on the doc page for them, they show up as
> >> Note: This docstring is obsolete; the corresponding object is no
> >> longer present in SVN.
> >>
> >> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.special.orthogonal.p_roots/
> >>
> >> in trunk they are still available:
> >>

> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/special/orthogonal.py#L602
> >>
> >> Is this a documentation bug, or are there some changes that I didn't
> see?
> >
> > In rev 6070 Pauli added an __all__ dict to orthogonal.py that does not
> > include those functions. I think pydocweb only generates pages for
> objects
> > in __all__ if that exists. So it looks like that is the reason.
> >
> > Should all the xx_roots funcs be in __all__ in your opinion?
>
> I would think so, but I just saw them for the first time and found them
> only because I looked at the source of integrate.quadrature.
>
> Now that I looked a bit closer, I see that all the xx_roots functions have
a corresponding new (and I suppose improved) function in orthogonal.py. For
'p_roots' this is 'legendre', they seem to return the same thing. So just
use the latter I think.

Leaving the xx_roots functions out of __all__ was done on purpose then I
guess, and those functions are still floating around only because of
backwards compatibility reasons. The one thing that needs to be done is to
update the module docstring to reflect that.

Cheers,
Ralf