[SciPy-dev] user/misc.rst/ xxx

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Wed Dec 16 21:35:04 CST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 9:38 PM, David Goldsmith wrote:
> The "Source" revision begins:
>
> "Miscellaneous
>
> Note XXX: This section is not yet written."
>
> and yet contains 5 sections and at least 100 lines of content.
>
> XXX indeed.  (Actually, I'd characterize it more as ???)

Because it's not written indeed, just outlined. Nice outline, true, but nothing more than that yet,. Keep the warning in the content page of the user guide in mind.
I'm surprised you haven't commented yet on the two 'Broadcasting' entries (the second should be byteswapping) ;) </tongueincheek>

But more seriously, you raise a good point: most of the focus so far was on the reference, ie content automatically added from the docstrings, while the user guide is not as strong. Some reorganization is probably needed.
In my mind, the reference is only that, a compendium of all the numpy objects (from functions to class attributes), while the user guide should present the various concepts behind numpy (type of arrays, dtypes, subclassing, broadcasting...). In other terms, part of what is currently in the reference could be ported to the user guide (but the user guide should systematically point to the reference)...