[SciPy-dev] Suppressing of numpy __mul__, __div__ etc

Dmitrey tmp50@ukr....
Thu Dec 17 11:07:37 CST 2009

От кого: Sebastian Walter <sebastian.walter@gmail.com>

let me rephrase then. I don't understand why p * ones(2) should give
Polynomial([ 0., 1., 1.], [-1., 1.]).

A polynomial over the reals is a data type with a ring structure and
should therefore behave "similarly" to floats IMHO.

Since I'm not a numpy developer, I cannot give you irrefutable answer, but I guess it is much more useful for numpy users that are mostly engineering programmers, not researchers of a data type with a ring structure.

Also, this is not only up to polynomials - as it has been mentioned, this issue is important for stacking with SAGE data types, oofuns etc, where users certainly want to get same type instead of an ndarray.