[SciPy-dev] Suppressing of numpy __mul__, __div__ etc

James Bergstra james.bergstra@gmail....
Thu Dec 17 15:27:27 CST 2009

I develop another symbolic-over-numpy package called theano, and
somehow we avoid this problem.

In [1]: import theano

In [2]: import numpy

In [3]: numpy.ones(4) * theano.tensor.dmatrix()
Out[3]: Elemwise{mul,no_inplace}.0

In [4]: theano.tensor.dmatrix() * theano.tensor.dmatrix()
Out[4]: Elemwise{mul,no_inplace}.0

In [5]: theano.tensor.dmatrix() * numpy.ones(4)
Out[5]: Elemwise{mul,no_inplace}.0

The dmatrix() function returns an instance of the TensorVariable class
defined in this file:
http://trac-hg.assembla.com/theano/browser/theano/tensor/basic.py#L901

I think the only thing we added  for numpy was __array_priority__ =
1000, which has already been suggested here.  I'm confused by why this
thread goes on.

James

http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~bergstrj