[SciPy-dev] updating the numpy/scipy versions in Linux distros

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Thu Feb 5 16:10:32 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Joe Harrington <jh@physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
> It would be nice if the Packaging section of Developer Zone on the web
> site made the packaging process a little more transparent...  Say what
> you do to get a release out and to get it in distribution, who does
> it, what the timetables tend to look like, etc.  If you ask for help
> there, you're likely to get it.

I don't use Ubuntu, but a quick google search gave me this:
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/python-numpy
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/python-scipy

I would rather not have information about Ubuntu's release process on
the SciPy site.  Ubuntu should be the system of record and it is very
easy to find out that information using google.  Anything added to the
SciPy site will either quickly become out of date or will need
maintenance (we have too much out-of-date, conflicting, or duplicate
information on the site).

If you want the Ubuntu developers to use more recent versions of numpy
and scipy, try "asking a question" about whether they will upgrade
through launchpad:
  https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-scipy/+addquestion
  https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-numpy/+addquestion

Hope that is enough information to get you started.

Good luck,
Jarrod