[SciPy-dev] updating the numpy/scipy versions in Linux distros

Joe Harrington jh@physics.ucf....
Wed Feb 18 01:07:33 CST 2009

Werner Hoch writes:
> here are some notes about openSUSE.

Werner, could you edit http://scipy.org/Developer_Zone/Distros and put
the appropriate info into an entry for OpenSUSE?

Thanks!

--jh--

Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 10:57:33 +0100
From: Werner Hoch <werner.ho@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [SciPy-dev] updating the numpy/scipy versions in Linux
	distros
To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>

Hi all,

here are some notes about openSUSE.

numpy and scipy are not part of the openSUSE core distribution but
several projects in the openSUSE BuildService are packaging and using
scipy and numpy. (https://build.opensuse.org/)

I've maintained numpy and scipy for a while in the science project.
Now both packages are maintained in the Education project.

Misc links:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.1/repodata/repoview/python-scipy-0-0.6.0-4.5.html
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.1/repodata/repoview/python-numpy-0-1.2.1-2.6.html

The current version are
  numpy 1.2.1
  scipy 0.6.0

I think as soon as scipy 0.7.0 is out the package will be updated in the
Education project.

Lars has added some patches to scipy 0.6.0 to fix some compilation
warnings in the Education project. I don't know if he has reported them
upstream to the scipy project.
openSUSE_11.1 has some strict rules about compilation warnings. The
compiler warnings are checked after the build some warnings are treated
as errors.

In my privat project (not published) I've created a test build for scipy
0.7.0rc2.

The buildservice complains that scipy 0.7.0rc2 has the following errors:
----------
I: Program is using implicit definitions of special functions.
these functions need to use their correct prototypes to allow
the lightweight buffer overflow checking to work.
- Implicit memory/string functions need #include <string.h>.
- Implicit *printf functions need #include <stdio.h>.
- Implicit *printf functions need #include <stdio.h>.
- Implicit *read* functions need #include <unistd.h>.
- Implicit *recv* functions need #include <sys/socket.h>.
E: python-scipy implicit-fortify-decl
scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/SuperLU/SRC/xerbla.c:33

I: Program returns random data in a function
E: python-scipy no-return-in-nonvoid-function
build/src.linux-x86_64-2.6/scipy/sparse/linalg/isolve/iterative/getbreak.f:74,
54, 34, 14

I: Program causes undefined operation
(likely same variable used twiceand post/pre incremented in the same
expression).
e.g. x = x++; Split it in two operations.
E: python-scipy sequence-point
scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/SuperLU/SRC/cutil.c:243
E: python-scipy sequence-point
scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/SuperLU/SRC/zutil.c:243

I'm attaching the patches from Lars (they are against scipy 0.6.0)

Maybe someone can review them and integrate them into scipy.

Regards
Werner