[SciPy-dev] Matlab io bug; request for advice

Robin robince@gmail....
Thu Feb 19 03:05:56 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy either way.  It's easier for me, and might be cleaner in the
>> long run, to just fix and document, but I can also see that broken
>> code is not a good outcome.
>>

> I vote fix and document in 0.7.1.  I don't think a prolonged
> transition period would help matters.

As a user of the MATLAB functionality, I would vote for the warning
message in 0.7.1 and the change in 0.8 (with an option to keep the
current behaviour).

I use MATLAB files a lot to store results/data and it would/will be a
pain to change everywhere I load files that I've previously saved (and
then have to keep track of which data files were saved with the old
version and the new which is why the compatibility option is
important). I'm sure a lot of other people are in a similar
situation... I think we really need a warning and a grace period - I
wouldn't expect this sort of possible breakage in a point release.

Cheers

Robin