[SciPy-dev] Matlab io bug; request for advice

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Thu Feb 19 12:57:29 CST 2009

Hi.

> Why not converting matlab 1xN or Nx1 arrays to numpy 1d arrays when
> case long time ago, at least in some of the predecessors of scipy.io). I
> guess this change would create more protest, at least on this list,
> since it would break python code instead of matlab code.

Yes, the old matfile reader used to squeeze out any redundant
(1-length) dimensions.

We changed that behavior because, if matlab has specified a row or a
column vector, it seemed a shame to throw this information away.

Best,

Matthew