David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 13:47:03 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Yes, I claim this. Doing bug triaging in a web interface is already not
>> a pleasant experience, but with trac, it just becomes very frustrating.
>> When preparing for releases (massive bug triaging), I waste hours doing
>> things which could be at least partially automated.
>
> Can I just check we've got a clear idea who is doing the most work of
> general scipy maintenance and release?
>
> I have the feeling that this group is David, Stefan, Jarrod at least?

Pauli has been involved too - for last scipy, Nathan has been heavily
involved thanks to his great sparse contributions.

> Then there are those of us who maintain or wrote packages. As the
> matlab io maintainer (more or less) I would not claim to have a good
> overview on general scipy release problems.
>
> Is there a successful template project workflow we can take up
> formally - matplotlib, ipython, python?

I don't know about those projects workflow, but I can tell you about
the workflow I would enjoy:
 - launch the bug tracker interface
 - get all the new bugs since last time I did some bug triage
 - select N bugs to assign to contributor joe
 - look at all the bugs with patchs without review
etc....

Doing this in trac takes a lot of time (or is even not possible,
unless you type your own SQL queries). With something integrated to
vi, a bit like an email interface, it would be much more pleasant.

Imagine that instead of svn, you would have to use a web interface to
commit, diff, log every revision. I think people would quickly become
crazy,

cheers,

David