Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 14:32:54 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 14:16, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:04, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Distributed revision control system: David Cournapeau and myself have
>>> been test driving Git [1] on SciPy and NumPy for a while.  It is fast, well
>>> supported, has great branch support, and is simple to use for the average
>>> contributor, while allowing powerful patch-carving for the more adventurous.
>>
>> While I really like DVCS in general, I don't think there is much
>> benefit to switching. The various DVCS-SVN bridges account for most of
>> the benefits, I think.
>
> I agree on this - having a "blessed" mirror so that anyone into DVCS
> could have a "reference" would be enough for me, at least as long as
> there is no good solution for bug tracking (the one advantage of
> switching to a DVCS is easier merging/branching, but I am worried
> about the workflow if the bug tracker cannot track branches).

The user pastes in the URL of his branch. Bug trackers don't really
"track branches"; they track the status of issues. Some bug trackers,
like that in Trac and Redmine, have some special mark up to make it
easy to refer to a particular revision in their repo browser. Is that
what you are talking about? Remember that with a DVCS, it is
intrinsically difficult to accomplish this; anyone can host their
branches anywhere.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."