Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Feb 23 14:35:01 CST 2009

Hi Robert

2009/2/23 Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>:
>> 1) Distributed revision control system: David Cournapeau and myself have
>> been test driving Git [1] on SciPy and NumPy for a while.  It is fast, well
>> supported, has great branch support, and is simple to use for the average
>> contributor, while allowing powerful patch-carving for the more adventurous.
>
> While I really like DVCS in general, I don't think there is much
> benefit to switching. The various DVCS-SVN bridges account for most of
> the benefits, I think.

The thing I miss most is merge support.  They are working on that for
1.6, but all the DVC systems have it now.  If we don't switch, we
should consider an official DVCS-based mirror, so that patches can be
supplied as links to Github or elsewhere.

> You may also want to consider using Roundup for just bug tracking and
> forgoing "integrated" solutions like the above entirely. We don't use
> the Trac wiki for anything we couldn't do on the Moin site.

Thanks, I completely forgot about Roundup.  I remember it from yonks
ago when it won the Software Carpentry competition!

Cheers
Stéfan