Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Mon Feb 23 14:41:22 CST 2009

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:32:54 -0600, Robert Kern wrote:
[clip]
>> I agree on this - having a "blessed" mirror so that anyone into DVCS
>> could have a "reference" would be enough for me, at least as long as
>> there is no good solution for bug tracking (the one advantage of
>> switching to a DVCS is easier merging/branching, but I am worried about
>> the workflow if the bug tracker cannot track branches).
>
> The user pastes in the URL of his branch. Bug trackers don't really
> "track branches"; they track the status of issues. Some bug trackers,
> like that in Trac and Redmine, have some special mark up to make it easy
> to refer to a particular revision in their repo browser. Is that what
> you are talking about? Remember that with a DVCS, it is intrinsically
> difficult to accomplish this; anyone can host their branches anywhere.

I'd think the markup/URLs shouldn't be a problem, since, as Robert says,
one can just paste URLs.

I would be a bit more worried about support for 'Milestones' and
'Versions'. AFAIK Trac (at least the 0.10.3 we have) is a bit primitive
here, as a bug can be only assigned to a single version/branch. So it's
not easy to query for bugs that have been fixed in trunk, but haven't
been backported eg. to 0.7.x branch.

--
Pauli Virtanen