David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 14:45:04 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 14:16, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> While I really like DVCS in general, I don't think there is much
>>> benefit to switching. The various DVCS-SVN bridges account for most of
>>> the benefits, I think.
>>
>> I agree on this - having a "blessed" mirror so that anyone into DVCS
>> could have a "reference" would be enough for me, at least as long as
>> there is no good solution for bug tracking (the one advantage of
>> switching to a DVCS is easier merging/branching, but I am worried
>> about the workflow if the bug tracker cannot track branches).
>
> The user pastes in the URL of his branch. Bug trackers don't really
> "track branches"; they track the status of issues. Some bug trackers,
> like that in Trac and Redmine, have some special mark up to make it
> easy to refer to a particular revision in their repo browser. Is that
> what you are talking about?

Yes: specially when reviewing for release, I like the ability to go
from a bug to the revision and vice-versa.

But my concern is a bit more general: I think there are still a lof of
issues on how to integrate DVCS and bug tracking, and nobody really
solved it yet. Some people have suggested putting the bugs themselves
in the repository, launchpad is trying a lot of things, but is clearly
struggling to get what's important and what's not, etc... DVCS have
some very interesting UI issues, and I haven't seen a clear solution
yet.

cheers,

David