Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 14:48:48 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 14:41, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:32:54 -0600, Robert Kern wrote:
> [clip]
>>> I agree on this - having a "blessed" mirror so that anyone into DVCS
>>> could have a "reference" would be enough for me, at least as long as
>>> there is no good solution for bug tracking (the one advantage of
>>> switching to a DVCS is easier merging/branching, but I am worried about
>>> the workflow if the bug tracker cannot track branches).
>>
>> The user pastes in the URL of his branch. Bug trackers don't really
>> "track branches"; they track the status of issues. Some bug trackers,
>> like that in Trac and Redmine, have some special mark up to make it easy
>> to refer to a particular revision in their repo browser. Is that what
>> you are talking about? Remember that with a DVCS, it is intrinsically
>> difficult to accomplish this; anyone can host their branches anywhere.
>
> I'd think the markup/URLs shouldn't be a problem, since, as Robert says,
> one can just paste URLs.
>
> I would be a bit more worried about support for 'Milestones' and
> 'Versions'. AFAIK Trac (at least the 0.10.3 we have) is a bit primitive
> here, as a bug can be only assigned to a single version/branch. So it's
> not easy to query for bugs that have been fixed in trunk, but haven't
> been backported eg. to 0.7.x branch.

It's worth noting that Roundup isn't a bug tracker so much as it is a
toolkit for constructing bug trackers (this is not always a good
thing). The database schema is ridiculously flexible. The only
required table is "user". You can make whatever fields you like
according to the semantics that are appropriate for the workflow you
want to use.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."