Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 14:53:55 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 14:45, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree on this - having a "blessed" mirror so that anyone into DVCS
>>> could have a "reference" would be enough for me, at least as long as
>>> there is no good solution for bug tracking (the one advantage of
>>> switching to a DVCS is easier merging/branching, but I am worried
>>> about the workflow if the bug tracker cannot track branches).
>>
>> The user pastes in the URL of his branch. Bug trackers don't really
>> "track branches"; they track the status of issues. Some bug trackers,
>> like that in Trac and Redmine, have some special mark up to make it
>> easy to refer to a particular revision in their repo browser. Is that
>> what you are talking about?
>
> Yes: specially when reviewing for release, I like the ability to go
> from a bug to the revision and vice-versa.

With Roundup, for example, we can make a field for people to paste in
the relevant branch URL.

> But my concern is a bit more general: I think there are still a lof of
> issues on how to integrate DVCS and bug tracking, and nobody really
> solved it yet. Some people have suggested putting the bugs themselves
> in the repository, launchpad is trying a lot of things, but is clearly
> struggling to get what's important and what's not, etc... DVCS have
> some very interesting UI issues, and I haven't seen a clear solution
> yet.

I think we should recognize that we will almost certainly not solve
the general problem. We should not let this failure impede us from
solving the more immediate problems.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."