David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 15:25:46 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:15 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
>> 2009/2/23 Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>:
>>> A) Do we agree in general to a more disciplined tests / review / accept cycle.
>>> B) What specifically are the problems that y'all are having, and what
>>> options are there for solving them.
>>
>> Current workflow:
>>
>> 1. Cook up a patch
>> 2. Apply the patch or, if you are not a dev, upload to trac
>>
>> So, currently, unreviewed, untested code ends up in SciPy, or
>> languishes on Trac for a long time.
>>
>> Proposed workflow:
>>
>> 1. Cook up a patch
>> 2. Attach the patch (or a URL to the patchset/branch) to the issue
>> tracker with a REVIEW tag
>> 3. Ping the mailing list or IRC to request a review (rinse and repeat)
>>
>> Workflow for dev:
>>
>> 1. Request a list of patches ready for review: review
>>  - Has tests [check]
>>  - Has docs [check]
>>  - Does what it is supposed to do [check]
>> 2. Add a POSITIVE_REVIEW or NEGATIVE_REVIEW tag as appropriate
>> 3. Request a list of patches ready to be merged (code can be merged if
>> seen by two pairs of eyes: reviewer + committer, reviewer + reviewer,
>> etc.  In the end it must have "positive_reviews - negative_reviews >=
>> 2").  Review the patch (this adds one pair of eyes) and merge if
>> appropriate.
>>
>> That's the rough idea.  Comments welcome.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Stéfan
>
> I agree it is a good idea, theoretically, but
>
> Maybe I'm slightly pessimistic, but almost the only comment or review
> for my bugfixes in scipy.stats that I got, were from Per Brodtkorb,
> and my tickets and patches were sitting for half a year in trac.. If I
> have to wait for a review, then ...

For patches: not being able to even retrieve them is one problem. Let
say right now I feel guilty about your email, and look into trac: I
can't easily retrieve all your patches which are > 6 months old
without getting into a SQL query :) Or if I look at them, and think I
have nothing to say, I can't mark them as "read" so I won't bother
reading them next time I look at the bugs. I don't know if this
scenario makes the problems I have with trac ATM clearer ?

David