Andrew Straw strawman@astraw....
Mon Feb 23 15:37:06 CST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:06, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think git-svn takes care of most of the branching problem on a local
>>> basis. Where it fall down, IMHO, is in testing a branch on the builtbots and
>>> sharing a branch among two or three people.
>> Why is that? Push your git branch to github.
>
> This can cause trouble when dcommitting back to svn. I don't remember
> the exact scenario, but I managed to break some things (like
> committing twice to svn) because I was not careful. It is easy to
> forget getting svn references in addition to git ones, maybe this is
> linked - I have not tried really hard to understand the problem to be
> honest.

The problem with git and svn integration is that you have to rebase your
git branch onto the svn branch to merge your changes back to svn. You
thereby loose the true history of your git branch. And you also make it
difficult for anyone to track your git branch because you've rebased
(rewritten history). Thus, use of git-svn doesn't really make code
sharing much easier -- in general, there still has to be svn in there.
Furthermore, because there is no birectional one-to-one map between git
and svn branches, in practice only one svn branch, probably the trunk,
can be used within a git system.

-Andrew